Jillian Margaret was born October 16th at 4:09 am. She weighed 8 pounds, 1 ounce and was 20 1/4 inches long. And she’s now a month old. Terrible blogger!


At any rate, I wanted to share her birth story so I can get to her one month update.


I woke up at about 1:45 am feeling a little wet. Since it was still hot out and I was humongously pregnant, I figured I was sweating and rolled over to go back to sleep. But then I noticed my pregnancy pillow was also wet, which seems suspicious. So, I got up to go to the bathroom to check things out, and sure enough, my water had broken.


I quickly woke up my husband to have him call his aunt, who was going to watch the boys for us. She lives about an hour and a half away, so letting her know was important to do first. I called the midwife on call to let her know my water had broken and I was coming in. It was about 2am, and I wasn’t really having much in the way of contractions.


We got the boys out of bed, loaded them into the van, grabbed our hospital bag, and headed over to the hospital. I noticed on the ride over I was having contractions, but they weren’t crazy painful and were still fairly far apart.


When we got there, I carried Nathan in while my husband got Colton. I beat them inside, and got an odd look and was asked what I was doing there. Apparently people don’t think you’re in labor if you come in carrying your 16 month old.


I was taken to a triage room, where they confirmed my water really did break, and I was six centimeters and a zero station. Shortly after, I started needing to concentrate to get through contractions, but everything still felt manageable. I did ask my husband and kids to leave the room, since the kids were making it harder to concentrate.


They moved me to a labor room, where they suggested I try to tub. I was all for it, until I got in the room and felt like things were going super quickly. Sure enough, I was 9 centimeters, a negative one station, and the midwife told me I could start doing some pushing if I wanted. And my husband was in the waiting area with the kids. I asked someone to go check on him; he was thankfully handing off the kids and came back to the room shortly.


Twenty minutes later, we had a baby! From start to finish, it took about two hours. Of course, the end part was no fun, but was short lived. Otherwise, I thought it was a pretty easy labor; contractions were intense, but even in transition were manageable and not terribly close together. And of course, all the work was well worth it to meet our sweet girl!